Thursday, January 8, 2009

There is no balance in evil. Link to Ali ElHajj

I'm fast approaching the point where I will have more posts per day on this blog than readers. But aware of this peril, I still offer below an interesting take about a "Christian" position on this deadly struggle.

I must acknowledge that I am a bit more direct in defining wrong-doing than the author of the article below. While I agree for the need for balance and avoiding partisanship, I don't think a "balanced" position tries to be a zero-sum game in assigning blame. There is no balance in evil. The logic of suicide bombing and human shields is evil in its own right. I do not need to raise or tamper my condemnation by how the occupation and despair contribute to it. But similarly when the strongest party, an organized state with massive US support, chooses to make war and conquest its main priority, I must condemn that in full force. Trying to "balance" this by also commenting on the terror inspired by ... terrorism, finds no balance at all.

In fact, this is usually used to simply point the finger at the other side and justify each camp's continuation of violence.

Apartheid did not end because ethnic violence ended in South Africa. Ethnic violence ended because the momentum grew for a peaceful civil resolution.

Right now, the fundamental driver of the cycle of violence is the Israeli occupation and ongoing conquest. Sadly, each day we continue increases the 'transaction cost' of peace, as revenge and hatred accrue with each death. With each battle won, Israel is losing the war. And for peacemakers the work will be twice as hard--talking to Hamas about moderation was a lot easier in January 2005 than it is now. Talking about trust in Sderot would have been easier before the Qassams became the main form of communication allowed from beyond the prison wall.

So, with this caveat, have a look at the blog entry of Ali Elhajj, whom I quote here:

"Fear, hatred, death, uncertainty and fanaticism rule the day.

For all these reasons, and more, I beg my brothers and sisters in Christ to undertake a revolution in thought which extends beyond entrenched racial and political dogmas, one that is grounded in the gospel of peace in Christ and one which propels the body of Christ to care for the sick and dying, for the fearful, and for those whom we call friend or enemy."

Click here for the rest of the text.

Elrig

No comments: